To see the legacy information regarding the Roman civilization before the Project Celeste revival, see Roman PreCeleste
|This article is in the middle of an expansion or major revamping. You can help the Age of Empires Online Wiki by expanding it.
May 22, 2019, the Project Celeste team announced their plans to develop and implement the Roman civilization that was under early development before Age of Empires Online shut down. With sourced concept art from the original plans the team was able to piece together the Roman civ in terms of tech tree, buildings and units. The game files already contained a basic set of Roman vanity buildings that gave the team the direction of the style, patterns and colors as the civ was original intended. Unit details on the other hand were limited to only concept art. The team currently works on this task every week and provides the fans of AOEO with weekly updates of the new assets being created.
While the Project Celeste team stated that they wanted to try to keep close to the design docs of the original team, in some instances that wasn't possible due to how many concepts and potential Romans assets were used for other Civs like the Norse and Babylon's (ex. the original Roman walls became the Carthage Alliance walls).
Content so farEdit
More content has been revealed than pages exist. If this bothers you, please help the wiki by creating the pages in question.
Unique Features Edit
- Powerful siege-based civilization.
- Features limited quantity powerful units (ie. hero units).
- Unique military units include the:
- Main article: Units_(Roman)
- Main article: Buildings (Roman)
- Main article: Technologies (Roman)
- Main article: Milestones (Roman)
Summary of blog posts Edit
The Romans as a civilization will play differently than other civs so in the game, as their units will not be organized by the standard Infantry/Ranged/Cavalry/, but instead by the class system the historical Romans used. As such, they will have three different types of buildings organized as follows:
|Castellum||Citizen Soliders (ex. Legionary, Spearman, ..)|
|Auxilia Camp||Foreign Soldiers (ex. Balearic Slingers, Cretan Bowman, ..)|
|Praetorium||Trains Officers (limited quantity powerful units, ex. Centurions, ..)|
Further more, the Castellum ( Roman Barracks) can be upgraded to a Praesidium -- a first time unique barracks that can be garrisoned ( and will attack when units are inside).
As per the focus of this civilization, the Romans will have their greatest strength in Siege, with having "more Siege Units than any other Civ in the game"  and "Roman Siege will be a huge part of their play style and the strongest in the game." It has also been stated across numerous blog posts that the Romans will be a late-game civ. This is both from the original design notes the team has from Gas Powered Games and from what the team at Project Celeste has stated in their weekly posts.
An example of this is that the Romans will be the only civilization to get two Siege units in Age 3!
The Romans will also feature a technology only unique building called the Forum, much like the Greeks and Celts.
Timeline of Blog posts Edit
|May 29, 2019||Building Design Theory|
|May 25, 2019||House Weekly Blog #1|
|Jun 01, 2019||Roman Farms and Storehouses|
|Jun 08, 2019||Roman Castellum and Legionaries|
|Jun 15, 2019||Roman Age 1 Town Center and Markets|
|Jun 22, 2019||Age II Town Center, Scout, Watch Post|
|Jun 29, 2019||Auxilia Camp, Balearic Slinger, Guard Tower|
|Jul 06, 2019||Dock, Fishing Boat, Roman Wood|
|Jul 12, 2019||Fortress, Praetorium, Centurion|
|Jul 20, 2019||Centurion 3D, Age II Walls, Merchant Transport|
|Jul 23, 2019||Unit Design Theory|
|Jul 27, 2019||Forum, Cretan Bowman, Armory |
|Aug 03, 2019||Spearman, Battering Ram, Siege Workshop |
|Aug 2019||A two week hiatus on the weekly blogs, see last week's blog.|
|Aug 24, 2019||Liburnian, Templum, Pontifex |
|Sep 01, 2019||Villagers, Age 3 Town Center, Pontifex |
|Sep 08, 2019||Developer Spotlight: Chaos, HappySmurf, Phillus |
|Sep 15, 2019||Palintonon, Palace, General Store |
|Sep 21, 2019||Onager, Ram animations, Advisor Hall |
|Sep 29, 2019||Gallic Horseman, Roman Residences |
|Oct 05, 2019||Decurion, Embassy, Age II analysis |
|Oct 2019||Halloween Event break, see last week's blog.|
|Nov 02, 2019||Treasury, Crafting Hall |
|Nov 10, 2019||Enneris, Crafting Hall, 8-slot & 12-slot Warehouses |
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/roman-civilization-announcement.4056/ Announcement
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/design-blog-2-unit-design-theory.4154/ Final paragraph
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-11-spearman-battering-ram-siege-workshop.4173/ Two siege units in age 3
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-10-forum-cretan-bowman-armory.4159/ Tech only unique building
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-7-dock-fishing-boat-roman-wood.4139/#post-7681
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/design-blog-1-building-design-theory.4073/ Design Blog#1
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-1-roman-houses.4062/ Weekly Blog #1
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-2-roman-farms-and-storehouses.4077/ Weekly Blog #2
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-3-roman-castellum-and-legionaries.4090/ Weekly Blog #3
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-4-roman-age-1-town-center-and-markets.4105/ Weekly Blog #4
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-5-age-ii-town-center-scout-watch-post.4118/ Weekly Blog #5
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-6-auxilia-camp-balearic-slinger-guard-tower.4128/ Weekly Blog #6
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-7-dock-fishing-boat-roman-wood.4139/ Weekly Blog #7
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-8-fortress-praetorium-centurion.4144/ Weekly Blog #8
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-9-centurion-3d-age-ii-walls-merchant-transport.4151/ Weekly Blog #9
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/design-blog-2-unit-design-theory.4154/ Design Blog#2
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-10-forum-cretan-bowman-armory.4159/ Weekly Blog #10
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-11-spearman-battering-ram-siege-workshop.4173/ Weekly Blog #11
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-12-liburnian-templum-pontifex.4231/ Weekly Blog #12
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-13-villagers-age-iii-tc-pontifex-3d.4244/ Weekly Blog #13
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-14-developer-spotlight-chaos-happysmurf-phillus.4256/ Weekly Blog #14
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-15-palintonon-palace-general-store.4266/ Weekly Blog #15
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-16-onager-ram-animations-advisor-hall.4276/ Weekly Blog #16
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-17-gallic-horseman-roman-residences.4288/ Weekly Blog #17
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-18-decurion-embassy-age-ii-analysis.4297/ Weekly Blog #18
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-19-treasury-crafting-hall-legendary-legionary-gear.4365/ Weekly Blog #19
- ↑ https://forums.projectceleste.com/threads/weekly-blog-20-enneris-8-slot-and-12-slot-warehouses.4379/ Weekly Blog #20