|Age of Empires Online|
|Robot Entertainment, Gas Powered Games|
|Release Date(s)||August 16th, 2011|
|Genre||RTS, Massive Multiplayer Online|
|Input methods||Keyboard, Mouse|
|System Requirements||Windows XP/Vista/7|
Intel® any dual core 2.0 GHz
2 GB RAM and 2 GB disk space
128 MB video
Age of Empires Online (often abbreviated to AoE Online or AoEO), is a free-to-play history-based real-time strategy video game released on August 16th, 2011 and digitally distributed. The game was shut down on July 1, 2014.
In response to the shutdown, a dedicated community worked for years to revive the game. Age of Empires Online returned on July 1, 2017 after a three-year break.
Features[edit | edit source]
- Classic Age of Empires Gameplay: familiar gameplay that made the franchise successful, with an updated art style and uplifting tone. Classic game elements of empire creation and resource management in a vibrant historical setting.
- New social experiences within the game, including live chat, gifting and trading of content, and cooperative multiplayer quests.
- Capital City: empire creation from out of nothing by leveling up, crafting items, and constructing buildings.
- Continually evolving online world where new content, civilizations, and quests are introduced.
Civilizations[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Civilization
There are currently six playable civilizations in the game:
Development[edit | edit source]
Age of Empires Online (under the working title Project Spartan), was first under development by Robot Entertainment, a company of former Ensemble Studios employees. Robot Entertainment created the core game and the first two civilizations (Egyptian and Greek). It was the first game developed by the company.
On February 24, 2010 it was announced that development of the game would be passed on to Gas Powered Games in the future under the Microsoft Game Studios brand. It is the first and only Age of Empires game to incorporate Windows LIVE.
Microsoft shut down the game on July 1, 2014. The closure was due to the content being too expensive to maintain.
Project Celeste Revival[edit | edit source]
Project Celeste is a dedicated community has been working for years to revive the game. Age of Empires Online returned on July 1, 2017 with 2 civilizations available at the start, with the full fledge rooster available soon after.
Everything originally under the Premium business model was made available for free, which meant PVP ranked, every civilization, star technologies, use advisors, unit and capital city vanity. Although the EP were maintained, it is no longer able to being purchase with money, instead is used as a non-tradable second currency.
Quest Packs[edit | edit source]
New contents is added to the game consistently and right now the biggest project is the Roman civilization expected to be released Q3 2020.
- Athens Quest Pack - A Greek vs Persian themed pack
- Cyrus the Great Quest Pack - Persian themed pack.
- General Zu's Glory Days Quest Pack - New Babylonian-themed quests, with lot's of unique and challenging objectives.
- Realms of the World Quest Pack - A Viking Mythology themed pack.
- Treasures of the Nile Quest Pack - Egyptian Legendary quest pack
- The Adventures of Brennos and Comontorios Quest Pack - A Celtic co-op themed pack in which we follow the Celtic heroes Brennos and Commontorios in their conquests of Northern Italy.